October 15, 2010

Book Review: Juno of Taris

Juno of Taris - by Fleur Beale

Juno is Young; she has no authority, no power, and to question the ways of Taris is discouraged.  She knows what it's like the community withdraws from her - turning their backs and not speaking to her until she complies.
The Taris Project was the brainchild of a desperate twenty-first-century world, a community designed to survive even if the rest of humanity perished.  An isolated, storm-buffeted island in the Souther Ocean was given a protective dome and its own balmy climate.  And now Juno is one of 500 people who live there - but what has happened to the outside world in teh years since Taris was established?  The island has not been in contact with Outside since the early years of it's existence.
Juno yearns to know about life Outside, just as she yearns to be allowed to grow her hair.  It is a rule on Taris that all must have their heads shaved bare.  But is it a rule that could be broken?  Danger awaits any who suggest it.
What can I say?  The blurb on the back of the book had me hooked... I started reading at 10pm the first night, and didn't put the book down for 2hrs, see, if the back hadn't of hooked me, the first chapter certainly would of.  Fleur Beale, is an author I hadn't heard of before now, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  She writes so well.  I honestly felt like I was right there, standing next to Juno, every step of the way.  I highly recommend this book to all, and think it would be a great read for teenagers.

Look out for my next book review on "Fierce September" the sequeal to Juno of Taris.  The fierce September review contains a giveaway.

Happy reading :)

No comments: