Celebrate the new season with this rich and wholesone vegetable cake, full of kumara, courgette and walnuts
350g Kumara, peeled and chopped
1 corgette (160g)
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup caster sugar (again - I used plain white sugar)
125 unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
65g cream cheese, at room temperature
25g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
- Grease a 20cm ring cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Boil, steam or microwave kumara until soft. Drain. Mash until smooth. Cool
- Grate courgette. Squeeze out any excess moisture and discard liquid
- Sift flour, spice and sugar into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Whisk eggs and butter in a medium jug until combined. Stir into flour mixture. Stir in kumara, courgette and walnuts. Spoon into prepared pan
- Cook in a moderate oven (180oC) for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over cold cake. Decoratewith extra chopped walnuts.
You will need 1 cup of mashed kumara for this recipe. To give the autumn cake a different flavour, add finely grated lemon or orange rind to the frosting.